SAN JOSE, CA–(Marketwired – January 30, 2018) –
- Q4 revenues up 43.7% year-over-year to a record $421.3 million, and diluted EPS of $0.13, includes $86.6 million tax expense, or $1.06 per diluted share negative impact due to the new U.S. Tax Cut and Jobs Act
- Q4 operating income up 60.3% year-over-year to a record $109.6 million or operating margin of 26.0%
- Q4 total Invisalign case shipments up 34.2% year-over-year to 255.0 thousand
- Q4 Invisalign cases for teenage patients up 44.1% year-over-year to 63.5 thousand
- Q4 scanner and services revenues up 37.0% year-over-year to $57.1 million
- Record 2017 Invisalign revenues up 34.1% year-over-year to $1.3 billion with Invisalign case shipments up 31.4% year-over-year to 931.0 thousand
- Record 2017 iTero scanner volume up 37.5%
Align Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: ALGN) today reported financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2017. Invisalign case shipments in the fourth quarter of 2017 (Q4’17) were 255.0 thousand, up 34.2% year-over-year. North America and International case shipments were up year-over-year 24.2% and 52.3%, respectively. Q4’17 Invisalign cases for teenage patients were 63.5 thousand, up 44.1% year-over-year. Q4’17 revenues were $421.3 million, up 43.7% year-over-year with Q4’17 operating income a record $109.6 million, up 60.3% year-over-year resulting in an operating margin of 26.0%. Q4’17 net profit was $10.3 million, or $0.13 per diluted share, which includes an $86.6 million tax expense, or $1.06 per diluted share negative impact due to the new U.S. Tax Cut and Jobs Act, comprised of a $10.0 million non-cash write-down of our deferred tax assets and a mandatory deemed repatriation tax of $76.6 million.
For 2017, record Invisalign revenues were $1.3 billion, up 34.1% year-over-year with Invisalign case shipments of 931.0 thousand, up 31.4% year-over-year. 2017 iTero revenues were $164.2 million, up 35.1% with record volumes, up 37.5% year-over-year. 2017 Invisalign cases for teenage patients were 237.5 thousand, up 40.4% year-over-year. For 2017, revenues were $1.5 billion, up 36.4% year-over-year and net profit was $231.4 million, or $2.83 per diluted share, which includes an $86.6 million tax expense, or $1.06 per diluted share negative impact due to the new U.S. Tax Cut and Jobs Act, comprised of a $10.0 million non-cash write-down of our deferred tax assets and a mandatory deemed repatriation tax of $76.6 million.
Commenting on Align’s Q4 and 2017 results, Align Technology President and CEO Joe Hogan said, “Overall, the fourth quarter was a strong finish to another outstanding year for Align, with better than expected revenues, volumes and operating income. Record Q4 revenues were up 43.7% year-over-year driven by increased Invisalign volumes across all geographies and customer channels, as well as by record iTero scanner revenue. Q4 Invisalign volume was up 34.2% year-over-year reflecting strong international growth from increased utilization and expansion of our customer base which included over 4,000 new customers for the third consecutive quarter. Notwithstanding this strong performance, our Q4 results were impacted by the new U.S. Tax Cut and Jobs Act which reduced our reported net income and EPS. However, Q4 operating income was a record $109.6M or 26.0%.”
Hogan continued, “For the full year, revenues of $1.5 billion increased 36.4% year-over-year driven by both record Invisalign revenue which surpassed the $1 billion mark for the first time ever and record iTero scanner revenues. These results reflect continued progress and execution of our four strategic growth drivers which focus on: driving international expansion; increasing Orthodontists utilization of Invisalign, especially with teenagers; enabling GP dentists to treat or refer more Invisalign cases; and generating consumer demand from millions of people worldwide and connecting them with an Invisalign doctor.”
As of December 31, 2017, Align had $761.5 million in cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities compared to $700.0 million as of December 31, 2016. We repurchased approximately 0.2 million shares of stock for $50.0 million in Q4’17 under the April 2016 Repurchase Program. We have $200.0 million remaining available for repurchases under the existing stock repurchase authorization.
2017 Business Highlights
The following list highlights Align’s key announcements over the past year:
- Expanded restorative digital workflow solutions for iTero Element® scanner to include iTero Chairside CAD, a chairside prosthetics design software application that will support same-day dentistry as part of collaboration with Exocad GmbH.
- Celebrated the 5 millionth Invisalign® patient, a 12-year old Canadian teenager starting Invisalign treatment with mandibular advancement.
- Signed distribution agreement with Glidewell Dental for the iTero Element® intraoral scanning system in North America with glidewell.io™ In-Office Solution, a chairside restorative ecosystem designed to simplify the process of prescribing and delivering laboratory-quality dental restorations.
- Opened the first Invisalign® store pilot in San Francisco to help consumers connect with an Invisalign® provider to improve their smile with Invisalign® treatment.
- Awarded nearly $300,000 to researchers at universities in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific as part of the Company’s Research Award Program to support clinical and scientific dental research.
- Signed distribution agreement Patterson Dental for iTero Element® intraoral scanning system in U.S. and Canada.
- Opened first Invisalign® Treatment Planning Facility in Chengdu, China.
- Launched TimeLapse technology for digital scan comparisons and ability to complete a scan in as little as 1 minute as part of a software upgrade for its iTero Element® intraoral scanners.
- Received U.S. Patents for SmartTrack material, an innovative multi-layer polymer that delivers more gentle, constant force to improve control of tooth movements with Invisalign® clear aligners.
- Celebrated the 1 millionth Invisalign® Teen patient, an 11 year-old boy from the U.S. starting Invisalign treatment.
- Launched first global, multi-million dollar Invisalign brand platform and marketing campaign.
- Achieved over 1 million scans submitted with iTero Element® scanner since its introduction in 2015.
- Introduced of Invisalign® Teen with mandibular advancement feature, the first clear aligner solution for Class II correction in growing tween and teen patients. (Not yet available in the U.S., pending FDA approval).
- Expanded digital implant workflow options for the iTero® intraoral scanner with Nobel Biocare implants and ELOS Medtech scan bodies.
Q1 2018 Business Outlook
For the first quarter of 2018 (Q1’18), Align provides the following guidance:
- Net revenues in the range of $400 million to $410 million, up approximately 29% to 32% over the same period a year ago.
- Invisalign case shipments in the range of 264 thousand to 269 thousand, up approximately 27% to 29% over the same period a year ago.
- Operating margin in the range of 18.5% to 19.5%
- Diluted EPS in the range of $0.94 to $0.98.
Align Web Cast and Conference Call
Align will host a conference call today, January 30, 2018 at 4:30 p.m. ET, 1:30 p.m. PT, to review its fourth quarter and year ended 2017 results, discuss future operating trends and the business outlook. The conference call will also be web cast live via the Internet. To access the webcast, go to the “Events Presentations” section under Company Information on Align’s Investor Relations web site at http://investor.aligntech.com. To access the conference call, please dial 201-689-8261. An archived audio web cast will be available beginning approximately one hour after the call’s conclusion and will remain available for approximately 12 months. Additionally, a telephonic replay of the call can be accessed by dialing 877-660-6853 with conference number 13674959 followed by #. For international callers, please dial 201-612-7415 and use the same conference number referenced above. The telephonic replay will be available through 5:30 p.m. ET on February 13, 2018.
About Align Technology, Inc.
Align Technology designs and manufactures the Invisalign® system, the most advanced clear aligner system in the world, and iTero® intraoral scanners and services. Align’s products help dental professionals achieve the clinical results they expect and deliver effective, cutting-edge dental options to their patients. Visit www.aligntech.com for more information.
For additional information about the Invisalign system or to find an Invisalign provider in your area, please visit www.invisalign.com. For additional information about iTero digital scanning system, please visit www.itero.com.
This news release, including the tables below, contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding certain business metrics for the first quarter of 2018 year end, including, but not limited to, anticipated net revenues, gross margin, operating expenses, operating profit, diluted earnings per share, tax rate and case shipments. Forward-looking statements contained in this news release and the tables below relating to expectations about future events or results are based upon information available to Align as of the date hereof. Readers are cautioned that these forward-looking statements are only predictions and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that are difficult to predict. As a result, actual results may differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement. Factors that might cause such a difference include, but are not limited to, difficulties predicting customer and consumer purchasing behavior, Align’s ability to protect its intellectual property rights, continued compliance with regulatory requirements, competition from existing and new competitors, the willingness and ability of our customers to maintain and/or increase product utilization in sufficient numbers, the possibility that the development and release of new products does not proceed in accordance with the anticipated timeline, the possibility that the market for the sale of these new products may not develop as expected, or that the expected benefits of new or existing business relationships will not be achieved as anticipated, the risks relating to Align’s ability to sustain or increase profitability or revenue growth in future periods while controlling expenses, growth related risks, including capacity constraints and pressure on our internal systems and personnel, the security of customer and/or patient data is compromised for any reason, continued customer demand for our existing and new products, changes in consumer spending habits as a result of, among other things, prevailing economic conditions, levels of employment, salaries and wages and consumer confidence, the timing of case submissions from our doctors within a quarter, acceptance of our products by consumers and dental professionals, foreign operational, political and other risks relating to Align’s international manufacturing operations, Align’s ability to develop and successfully introduce new products and product enhancements and the loss of key personnel. These and other risks are detailed from time to time in Align’s periodic reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2016, which was filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on February 28, 2017, and its latest Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2017, which was filed with the SEC on November 2, 2017. Align undertakes no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statements for any reason.
ALIGN TECHNOLOGY, INC.
UNAUDITED CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS
(in thousands, except per share data)
Three Months Ended
Cost of net revenues
Selling, general and adminstrative
Research and development
Total operating expenses
Income from operations
Interest and other income (expense), net
Net income before provision for income taxes and equity in losses (gains) of investee
Provision for income taxes
Equity in losses (gains) of investee, net of tax
Net income per share:
Shares used in computing net income per share:
ALIGN TECHNOLOGY, INC.
UNAUDITED CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS
Cash and cash equivalents
Marketable securities, short-term
Accounts receivable, net
Prepaid expenses and other current assets
Total current assets
Marketable securities, long-term
Property, plant and equipment, net
Equity method investments
Goodwill and intangible assets, net
Deferred tax assets
LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS’ EQUITY
Total current liabilities
Income tax payable
Other long-term liabilities
Total stockholders’ equity
Total liabilities and stockholders’ equity
Q4 Fiscal Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Fiscal 2016 2016 2017 2017 2017 2017 2017 Invisalign Average Selling Price (ASP): Worldwide ASP $1,230 $1,265 $1,270 $1,285 $1,310 $1,305 $1,295 International ASP $1,315 $1,335 $1,325 $1,335 $1,390 $1,390 $1,360 Invisalign Cases Shipped by Geography: North America 122,555 463,810 132,885 146,510 144,870 152,245 576,510 International 67,500 244,690 75,175 85,380 91,195 102,785 354,535 Total Cases Shipped 190,055 708,500 208,060 231,890 236,065 255,030 931,045 YoY % growth 18.5 % 21.5 % 27.1 % 31.0 % 32.8 % 34.2 % 31.4 % QoQ % growth 6.9 % 9.5 % 11.5 % 1.8 % 8.0 % Number of Invisalign Doctors Cases Were Shipped To: North America 23,265 34,065 23,910 24,695 24,845 25,365 36,415 International 13,635 20,415 14,955 16,570 17,760 19,620 27,990 Total Doctors Cases Shipped To 36,900 54,480 38,865 41,265 42,605 44,985 64,405 Invisalign Doctor Utilization Rates*: North America 5.3 13.6 5.6 5.9 5.8 6.0 15.8 North American Orthodontists 11.3 36.6 12.6 13.6 13.8 14.0 46.6 North American GP Dentists 3.2 7.6 3.1 3.3 3.1 3.3 8.2 International 5.0 12.0 5.0 5.2 5.1 5.2 12.7 Total Utilization Rates 5.2 13.0 5.4 5.6 5.5 5.7 14.5 * # of cases shipped/# of doctors to whom cases were shipped Number of Invisalign Doctors Trained: North America 1,420 4,720 980 1,620 1,460 1,340 5,400 International 2,280 6,960 2,280 3,255 2,820 2,745 11,100 Total Doctors Trained Worldwide 3,700 11,680 3,260 4,875 4,280 4,085 16,500 Total to Date Worldwide 115,470 115,470 118,730 123,605 127,885 131,970 131,970 ALIGN TECHNOLOGY, INC. STOCK-BASED COMPENSATION (in thousands) Q4 Fiscal Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Fiscal 2016 2016 2017 2017 2017 2017 2017 Stock-based Compensation (SBC) SBC included in Gross Profit $1,078 $3,966 $925 $768 $833 $804 $3,330 SBC included in Operating Expenses 13,136 50,182 13,887 13,477 14,134 14,026 55,524 Total SBC Expense $14,214 $54,148 $14,812 $14,245 $14,967 $14,830 $58,854